On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Mann, Dave wrote:

> Definitely took the wind out of my sails in terms
> of my interest in learning self arrest.

You can self-arrest pretty well with a plain old ski pole. It definitely
takes some practice, but the concept is the sme and risk of impalement is
probably a bit lower. TEO (or was it the twin) and I practiced doing
this in Tucks one early summer afternoon. In mid Bowl in firny conditions
we were able to stop within about 50 feet. Of course, this was without
packs and we could see it coming.  Hardest part was getting a pole strap
off and then getting rolled around to the right position. If it were
boilerplate it robably wouldnt work too well, but if it were boilerplate I
wouldnt be there to begin with.

Jerm