On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Geoff Devine wrote:

> Exactly!  The Constitution says "to provide for the common defense".  It's
> silent on funding the Smithsonian.

Exactly!  Defense against softening of the brain and cultural
malnourishment.  One of those important documents says something about
"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."  How can you be happy
without some form of art in your life?  (This is meant with the utmost
seriousness.)  Our creativity is part of what makes us a civilized beast.

Do you think our founding fathers were cultural dunces?   Many of them
were scholars, scientists and artists.  This country is largely a product
of European Enlightenment.  Who helped inspire this movement (and in turn
were inspired by it)--bingo, that's right artists, scientists and
scholars.

--Matt K.