Well everyone knows by now that it snowed. I would guess that Stratton
received about 20 inches over the holiday period. It was my first set of
turns for the year and I had some trouble getting out of bed this morning.
I'm getting old! Stratton is my new home ski base and I am really happy that
we settled on it. They make it a lot easier for me to get the family skiing
and the reality is that MRG,Stowe,SB etc are just too far to go for weekend
trips. Despite it's lack of steeps, Stratton offers a very classic Vermont
Ski expereince.

I was really surprised by how empty the place was. Thursday and Friday were
very light. Saturday was crowded but the lift lines moved very fast. Sunday
was empty. Stratton also seems to have a late arriving crowd so there were
plentiful powder runs to be had every morning! Sunday, the skiing was great
all day and when the first tracks were gone there were areas where the wind
had blown and packed the new snow into one of my favorite surfaces to ski
on, a hard packed powder with sugar on top. I'm not a big fan of eastern
tree skiing, I prefer glades of evergreens that are covered in snow to
hardwoods but I did quite a few runs through some of the glade areas at
least I think they were glade areas. Some really nice pitches and well
cleared and maintained. A great 4 days of skiing with the family.

I thought some of you might be interested in this system which is in use at
Stratton:

http://www.snow-quest.com