> Quoting "Mann, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > Having seen a slide on a classic spring day when the
> > avi danger was posted as low, I can't agree with this.

> From: Benjamin Kulas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
> Details?

Details of the slide in Huntington that put a guy into
a coma can be found here:
http://www.tuckerman.org/accident/Summaries99/summary_41799.htm

From what I recall, "CL" was a doctor from Randolf, NH
and regained consiousness some time later.

In terms of the slide that I saw in Tucks that day,
here is a short summary:

There is a narrow cut in the rock on the climber's
left leading out of chute that takes one in a jumble
of rocks and bushes that seperate Chute from Left
Gully.  A climbing line had formed in Chute (normal
for a busy spring Saturday) and a handful of skiers
and boarders were working their way down the section
between Chute and Left Gully.

A skier (or boarder) made a wide sweeping turn up
near the top in an open section above this small
feeder shoot.  The turn broke a surface slide loose
which quickly picked up steam.  It grabed the first
skier above the feeder shoot and then went into the
feeder shoot where it turned a hard (skier's left).

I forget if the second skier was in the feeder shoot
or in Chute proper.  In any event, the slide (still
getting bigger) went down the lower section of Chute
where it grabbed the third skier.  The second and third
skiers rode the slide to the bottom.  The slide finally
stopped down in the brush that sits below Chute and
Left Gully (opposite of Lunch rocks).

I watched this all unfold from Lunch Rocks.  I've
not sat there since and never will again.  Just as
bad, I'll never hang in out in the rocks below Left
Gully and Chute either.  I see now why the Patrol guys
hang out at the very bottom.

All three of the skiers got up and moved away on their
own.  I heard about the slide in Huntington from a ranger
at Hojos on the way down.

> But most years, by late to mid Spring, snowfall has more or
> less stopped and there are plenty of freeze/thaw cycles to solidify
> everything.

Yup.  I still delude myself this way in late spring (as
Dana can attest).  And I don't take avi gear.  But, I won't
go in when it is busy now.

But note, the 4/99 incidents took place after a mere 2"
snow at the summit the previous day.  That small amount
of snow combined with the wind loading set it up.

> learning which areas are potential danger zones.  Of course they can't
> guarantee anything, but they can give you the history and then you can
> decide what risks you yourself are willing to take.

Here's the problem of the history...  If its been named,
it has slidden.