D.I.Y. Tools That Leave Spam D.O.A.
By J. D. BIERSDORFER
January 30, 2003

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/30/technology/circuits/30stat.html

THE trickle of unsolicited commercial e-mail that
started a few years ago had long since become a tsunami,
but I realized that my problem had reached an absurd
extreme when I got the spam about stopping spam.

Rather than try to address the problem through my
Internet service provider or an outside spam-filtering
site, I was in an aggressive mood that inclined me
toward anti-spam programs designed for home users. I
immediately found three to test, each costing less than
$40:

iHateSpam by Sunbelt Software ($19.95;
        http://www.sunbelt-software.com),

Spam Inspector by Giant Company ($29.95;
        http://www.giantcompany.com)

and

SpamKiller by McAfee Security ($39.95;
        http://www.mcafee.com).