  From: Steve Jeffrey
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 8:36 AM
  Subject: Re: Form of Town Meeting

  Sandy -- you should have a copy of VLCT's 2000 Municipal Census Report.  On page 8 we report that 171 or 69% of municipalities use the Australian ballot for one purpose or another while 78 towns or 31% do not use it.

  Of those using it, 155 use it for the election of officers, 81 use it for "public questions" while only 48 adopt their budgets that way.  This does not include information on school budgets.

  The 2003 Census will be distributed soon.  It reflects 172 municipalities using it in some fashion with the number adopting town budgets by that means up to 53.  We do now have school budgets and the responses from towns indicate that 81 school districts vote on their budgets via Australian ballot.