Since I am responsible for everything in the vault there is NO WAY I would let anyone other than my assistant have the combination - if they need something after hours they can call me and I am more than happy to open up and assist them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vermont Municipal Government Discussion Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Devine
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 2:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: vault combination

I know this question was here before but I did not pay much attention because it was not a concern of mine.  As the world turns, changes are occurring in my office.

Do any of you clerks give out your vault combination to government employees like listers, auditors, zoning administrators, etc.  The argument being they need access to City documents to perform their elected/appointed statutory duties.  My vault is open five days a week from 8 am until 4:30 p.m.

Any of you out there confronted with this and if so, what was the outcome and the basis of your argument.

Thanks so much,

Joan Devine