Kathleen, John and I stayed in the Lumberjack Lodge in ~ 1984 for a week
in April.  We greatly enjoyed Paul.  Knew about his streak which was just
starting then.  His son Jeff now runs the lodge.  Paul was a fighter pilot
ace in the Korean War.  The wedding of his son Jeff almost cost him the
streak.  He talked a grooming machine operator into giving him a ride up
at 1 minute after midnight and then left for the wedding in NY.  He
returned in time to get another snowcat ride to the summit on the
following calendar day.  He skied citizen's DH races and his 225s were in
the rack by the front door.  On most days he skied with a buddy, Miles, a
retired Bowdoin professor, who stayed there during the week.  Paul was in
his early 60s at the time.  One day after dinner he said to me, "Ain't
that Miles somethin'.  Skis every day and he's 84."  I had no idea he was
that old.