     Don't be so sensitive there, Louis. If these were
conventional weapons, we would not have to worry. But
if we are dealing with someone who has invaded another
country in the past, who has used such weapons on his
own people, and who is generally regarded as an enemy
of the US, we have a right to some wiggle room with
respect to drawing inferences about the man. If we
waited for iron clad proof of plans for a strike
(eseentially if we could look into a crystal ball),
then that would be ideal. But we do have a right to
look after our safety before some cataclysmic event
claims thousands of lives in one fleeting moment. That
gives us the right. We find new evidence everyday that
we have in the man (Hussein), the weaponry, and in the
delivery device (Al Qaeda) indications of a gathering
threat.

     And after some of that rhetoric out of Pyongyang,
I hope we go after North Korea next before they have
an opportunity to test long-range delivery devices for
their nuclear warheads, another former war enemy with
obvious anti-American sentiment itching to say just
about anything in the name of brinkmanship (hopefully
just brinkmanship).

     And as terrible as it was, what happened at
Hiroshima and Nagasaki cost fewer lives than would
have been lost in a proposed conventional invasion.
Granted, I think if we factored in a broader sense of
the damage to the climate, that perhaps an amphibious
landing would have been more judicious, but then this
was World War II. There was a lot riding on this one.
I am not familiar with the odds at that time of losing
a war without drastic measures. My history here is a
little fuzzy, so I really do have to leave open the
question of whether those bombs were necessary.

J. Wyatt