New York Times
March 18, 2003

Republicans Resigned to Defeat on Alaska Wildlife Refuge Drilling Plan

by David Firestone

WASHINGTON, March 17 - Senate Republican officials said today that
they had been unable to muster enough votes to begin oil drilling in
the Alaska wildlife refuge, probably dooming the signature energy
plan of the Bush administration.

A vote on the drilling plan will probably take place by Friday or
early next week, and lobbying groups in favor of oil production in
Alaska say they have not given up hope of achieving a slim Senate
majority. But Republican officials say they are not counting on more
than 48 votes for drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

"At this point, we don't have the 50 votes, and I don't think we're
going to get them," a Republican official said. "So the Democrats
will probably be able to strip it out."

Such a vote would be an embarrassment for the Bush administration,
which came into office in 2001 vowing to reverse President Bill
Clinton's refusal to permit drilling in the refuge. It was unable to
get the measure through the Senate last year, when it was controlled
by Democrats. After the Republicans took control of the Senate in
January, administration officials hoped for a different result, but
they said at least eight Republicans and most Democrats remained
opposed to the plan.

Supporters of drilling said they had hoped to take advantage of
rising oil prices and a potential war with Iraq to argue that the
United States needs more domestic oil production to free itself from
sources in the Middle East. In Congressional testimony on Wednesday,
Gale A. Norton, the interior secretary, called the area "flat, white
nothingness" and said it represented the nation's greatest potential
for future oil.

"Our reliance on foreign oil has impacts on the lives of American
families, farmers and workers as the current gasoline price increase
shows," Ms. Norton said. "As long as we have planes, trains and
automobiles powered by oil and gas, we will need a homegrown, stable,
reliable source of supply."

But drilling in the refuge remains highly unpopular in public opinion
polls, a result of years of efforts by environmental groups to depict
oil production as disastrous to an unspoiled and fragile area that is
home to many wildlife species. Opponents also say the refuge would
not produce enough oil to justify the effort, and oil companies have
not been nearly as enthusiastic about the prospect as the Bush
administration or the government of Alaska.

"It has never made sense to drill for oil there, and citizens from
around the country have made their views on that clear to their
senators," said Gene Karpinski, executive director of the U.S. Public
Interest Research Group, an advocacy association that has lobbied
heavily against the plan.

But Mr. Karpinski added that he was nervous about declaring victory
because Republicans might have more senators on their side than they
were revealing.

"We remain cautiously optimistic that a majority of the Senate
opposes drilling," he said. "But of course we'll be working overtime
till the question is called, to ensure that we get the votes we need."

The drilling plan is in the 2004 budget resolution that the Senate
began debating today. It is a measure that sets the overall revenues
and spending limits for the coming fiscal year. Democrats plan to
propose an amendment that would delete the reference to drilling, and
Republicans will need 50 votes to stop the amendment. But at this
point, Republicans say they have only 48.

If the drilling plan is removed from the budget process, Republicans
will not be able to raise it again without encountering a Democratic
filibuster, which requires 60 votes to stop. Last week, Republicans
said they were hoping to persuade four senators - Mark Pryor and
Blanche L. Lincoln of Arkansas, both Democrats, and Norm Coleman of
Minnesota and Gordon H. Smith of Oregon, both Republicans - to change
their earlier stance and support drilling. But the senators said
through spokesmen that they remained opposed to drilling in the
refuge.

"The senator has said he would meet with both sides and the
supporters gave him brochures, but he has not been convinced," said
Mr. Pryor's spokesman, Rodell Mollineau. "He said during the campaign
that he didn't believe drilling was good for the environment or would
meet our national energy needs, and that hasn't changed."

Roger Herrera, a consultant for Arctic Power, a pro-drilling lobbying
group financed by the State of Alaska and oil companies, said that he
did not believe that the fight was over and that supporters might
have more backers than opponents realized.

But two leading Republican supporters of drilling, Senators Pete V.
Domenici of New Mexico and Ted Stevens of Alaska, canceled a news
conference today to announce their strategy for winning the measure's
approval, and aides said there were no plans to reschedule it.