Kristoff in Times Op Ed, on religious right and evolution

It is worth noting the remarks on evolution is this op ed piece by Kristoff,
which I find both appalling and morbidly fascinating. One of the things that
strikes me in the Darwin debate is the obtuseness of the self-styled
scientific group, in their lemming-like persistence in reductionist regimes
of theoretical idiocy which they apparently find a sign of their high
intelligence and whose only  outcome, given the domination of the entire
Humanities elite, in addition to the scientific, is the failsafe resurgence
of Creationist resistance. Why is it that a writer like Philip Johnson,
starting with Darwin on Trial, managed to trigger the inexorable dialectical
debate on evolution, with the entire academic and cultural crowd paralyzed at
all points in what should have been a no brained, the flaws in Darwin's
theory? This could result in a cultural catastrophe, the discredit of science
itself.
I need hardly point out that the critics of ideology, e.g. the Marxists,
totally failed in its mission here, and like a guard dog that wouldn't bark
has to look grimly at the prospect of the (philosophic) dog pound.
 The Scientific momentum of opinion can be intimidating especially when so
much good science is mixed with ideology. At least figure out your
non-obligation in scientific terms to submit to this constellation of science
propaganda.
Currently trained intellectuals in the Dawkins generation seem incapable of
grasping how they are fighting a losing battle with this unrealistic
Darwinism. Dawkins has done enough harm.

>>>For a theoretical self-defense toolkit, check my site: <A HREF="http://eonix.8m.com">http://eonix.8m.com</A>
It is awfully easy to demostrate the inappropriate character of Darwinism in
history, and the descent of man.

March 4, Op Ed, Times
God, Satan and the Media
<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/04/opinion/04KRIS.html">http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/04/opinion/04KRIS.html</A>

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Claims that the news media form a vast liberal conspiracy strike me as
utterly unconvincing, but there's one area where accusations of institutional
bias have merit: nearly all of us in the news business are completely out of
touch with a group that includes 46 percent of Americans.That's the
proportion who described themselves in a Gallup poll in December as
evangelical or born-again Christians. Evangelicals have moved from the fringe
to the mainstream, and that is particularly evident in this administration.
It's impossible to understand President Bush without acknowledging the
centrality of his faith. Indeed, there may be an element of messianic vision
in the plan to invade Iraq and "remake" the Middle East.Robert Fogel of the
University of Chicago argues that America is now experiencing a fourth Great
Awakening, like the religious revivals that have periodically swept America
in the last 300 years. Yet offhand, I can't think of a single evangelical
working for a major news organization.Evangelicals are increasingly important
in every aspect of American culture. Among the best-selling books in America
are Tim LaHaye's Christian "left behind" series about the apocalypse; about
50 million copies have been sold. One of America's most prominent television
personalities is Benny Hinn, watched in 190 countries, but few of us have
heard of him because he is an evangelist. President Bush has said that he
doesn't believe in evolution (he thinks the jury is still out). President
Ronald Reagan felt the same way, and such views are typically American. A new
Gallup poll shows that 48 percent of Americans believe in creationism, and
only 28 percent in evolution (most of the rest aren't sure or lean toward
creationism). According to recent Gallup Tuesday briefings, Americans are
more than twice as likely to believe in the devil (68 percent) as in
evolution.In its approach to evangelicals, the national news media are
generally reflective of the educated elite, particularly in the Northeast.
It's expected at New York dinner parties to link crime to deprived childhoods
— conversation would stop abruptly if someone mentioned Satan.I tend to
disagree with evangelicals on almost everything, and I see no problem with
aggressively pointing out the dismal consequences of this increasing
religious influence. For example, evangelicals' discomfort with condoms and
sex education has led the administration to policies that are likely to lead
to more people dying of AIDS at home and abroad, not to mention more
pregnancies and abortions.But liberal critiques sometimes seem not just
filled with outrage at evangelical-backed policies, which is fair, but also
to have a sneering tone about conservative Christianity itself. Such mockery
of religious faith is inexcusable. And liberals sometimes show more
intellectual curiosity about the religion of Afghanistan than that of
Alabama, and more interest in reading the Upanishads than in reading the Book
of Revelation.I care about this issue partly because I grew up near Yamhill,
Ore., which has 790 people and five churches. My science teacher at Yamhill
Grade School taught that evolution was false, and a high school girlfriend
attended a church where people spoke in tongues (contrary to stereotypes, she
was an ace student, smarter than many people fluent in more conventional
tongues, like French and Spanish). In the evangelical tinge to its faith,
Yamhill is emblematic of a huge chunk of Middle America that we in the
Northeast are out of tune with.Moreover, it is increasingly not just Middle
America, but Middle World. As Professor Philip Jenkins notes in a new book,
fundamentalist Christianity is racing through the developing world. The
number of African Christians has soared over the last century, to 360 million
from 10 million, and the boom is not among tweedy Presbyterians but among
charismatic Pentecostalists. One of the deepest divides in America today is
the gulf of mutual suspicion that separates evangelicals from secular
society, and policy battles over abortion and judicial appointments will
aggravate these tensions further in coming months. Both sides need to reach
out, drop the contempt and display some of the inclusive wisdom of Einstein,
who wrote in his memoir: "Science without religion is lame, religion without
science is blind."

John Landon
Website for
World History and the Eonic Effect