Occluded ICA's can recannalize.  The flow pattern especially in the ICA,
bulb, ECA area is somewhat a spiral which turns back upon itself. I have
seen the zig zag pattern, if you look closely it more resembles a spiral
due to the flow pattern.  The only place in our body where the flow is
truly in a laminar "bullet" pattern is in the longer superficial femoral
artery segment in the thigh (it is usually straight and long) Most of the
arterial system has a vortex, spiral pattern due to vessel elasticity and
various branches