Jeremy, yes it is the arterioles that expand to change the resistance. Here
are my rambling thoughts:  The thighs and calves have significantly (more
than double) the muscle mass as the arms.  When the patient is walking the
leg muscles are demanding more flow so the arterioles/capillary bed has to
expand to allow more oxygenated blood. Even the patients who are
desparately holding on to the bars, will not have as much a flow demand in
the arms as the legs. I know that this could be so much hooey (new medical
term) but in my long experience we had better correlation by just looking
at the changes in the ankle pressures immediately post and then monitoring
every minute for a minimum of 5, if not 10 minutes.  I have not found a
good resource to resolve this question, but I will keep looking.  Claudia