From: Michael Cuzzilla [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, 27 February 2003 10:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: UGS -? thrombus

We have been performing ultrasound guided sclerotherapy using foam for a
few months now and like to review the patients at 2 weeks with a further
duplex.  This is to assess our results and to ensure that patients don't
have a DVT - the experts here say patients don't get DVT's following UGS
even though they don't check for them routinely!  If the vessel has not
completely collapsed but is occluded, we have called the intraluminal
content organising thrombus.  It contains hyperechoic areas I assume
related to the sclerosant and fibrosis.  More importantly however, the
word thrombus puts the fear of god into most patients and for that
matter, some referring physicians.

I have three questions:
Does anyone have experience of DVT's following UGS?
Has anyone taken a sample of the "thrombus" for histology?
Is there a more accurate or amenable term for this material?

Thanks,
Michael Cuzzilla