Although it was pretty miserable here in the Champlain Valley today, I unexpectedly did some birding during a spell of heavy rain at Charlotte Town Beach.  Was just driving by, showing a friend how to avoid Route 7 from Ferrisburgh to Shelburne, when I noticed several hundred (maybe up to a thousand) tree swallows hunting bugs near the surface of the water, flitting in and out of the fog.

Quite a sight, and well worth the wet hair that resulted from standing in the rain for several minutes to watch the spectacle.

Sherry Mahady
Essex Jct.