I normally would not contribute sightings of robins but this AM I was
out with my orntihology class and we encountered an extraordinary
number of migrating robins in the Dog River valley of Central Vermont.
For at least an hour there was a steady stream of robins moving to the
NNE.  I did a few minute counts and had number like 45, 62, and
70/minute overhead.  Did some quick calculations.  Average of 59/minute
passing overhead in a 200yd sector of sky.  That comes to about 31,152
robins passing across a mile front in that hour.

On another topic, my last trip to Victory Bog revealed that 5 of 6
breeding pair of Gray Jays located were nesting.   Last week the pair
were seen and on Turesday only the male was present.  Strong suggestion
that females are egglaying/incubating.  Most nests fledge in early May.

Bill

William H. Barnard
Biology Department
Norwich University