Hi! First sapsuckers of the season drumming loudly in our yard. And speaking
of goshawks- I got to see one very closely on Long Island the other day. it
was sitting 3/4 of the way up in a tree with a large crow of all things. I
pulled the car over and got out direclt under it. The crow left but the
goshawk stayed staring down at me with ferocious eyes which followed me as I
walked around looking at it from every angle. I thought it would eat me.
Yikes! Nice trip though. Other highlights were two lifers: oldsquaw (long
tailed ducks), and horned grebes. I was lucky enough to see them in both
their winter and summer garb. Long Island is really a treasure trove of birds
all year long but absolutely spectacular in the spring.

laurie in Starksboro