After a wonderful hour or so yesterday with several listserve birders at
RedRocks (So. Burlington) watching the preening merlin pair I returned
at lunch today hoping for more of the same and to try to find a nest.
Alas, no luck until I began leaving. As one walks along the park fence
behind the houses of Queen City park, one neighbor has an elaborate
series of feeders and pulleys (all empty of seed). But the surrounding
bushes around the feeders were full of nervous songbirds: 3 goldfinches,
3 pair of cardinals 2 downies, pair of titmice, and suddenly swooping by
"kek,kek,kek-ing" away was one of the merlins. I wonder if he'd been
lurking nearby all along as the feeders offered a pretty tasty
assortment for lunch for it too. (It would be so easy to pick off the
feeder birds). So for those looking for the merlins, check out that area
of houses that back  up to the park as well as the picnic area. Nancy
Goodrich, Burlington