Angele,

Another reliable spot is at the southeast edge of the West Rutland
Marsh.  Go down Marble Street and park in the pulloff located just
south of the marble wall on the east side of the road.  This is the
spot where you pick up the maintenance road that heads over to the
channel.  Right close to the road where all the marble blocks are piled
to block vehicle access you can often find a 'peenting' male woodcock.
Havn't been there yet this year to verify.

I am posting your question to the RCAS blog
http://www.rutlandcountyaudubon.org/community.html to see if we can
generate any other good spots for you to check out.

David Jenne
West Rutland, VT