Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting idly looking out the window, watching
the air traffic hurtling through the feeder area.  We've had a a number of
ground feeders in addition to the juncos lately, too: couple pair of song
sparrows, and several fox sparrows.  When I saw movement under some leafless
shrubs, I thought at first it was a fox sparrow, but it didn't move quite
the same.  When I trained my bins on it, I found to my astonishment that it
was a Swainson's thrush!  The bird, more astonishingly, obligingly came out
into the open long enough for me to confirm my id in Sibley's.

I knew the Swainson's was around because every summer I can hear them
singing, but this is the first time I've seen one here in Vermont.  It was a
treat.

Dayle Ann
Proctor (near Beaver Pond)