     For birders who are also members of ABA, you will have noted in the most
recent publication of Winging It, a young Vermonter in the (10-13) age group
who came away with three of the top prizes in 2002 ABA/Leica Young Birders of
the Year.  This same budding birder and knowledgeable naturalist contacted me
a year ago with respect to a sighting at his bird feeder which he claimed to
be that of a pine warbler in Rupert, VT.  While on the one hand I could not
endorse his determination, I was not prepared to dismiss it out of hand and
my response to him no doubt conveyed a certain skepticism on my part, a
failing all too often when a happening falls outside ones personal
experience!  Well this morning, while observing the goldfinches happily
feasting on the sunflower hearts at the feeder one bird held my attention.
Same size, but the color was not right, the bill too dark and sharp, two wing
bars set in a gray wing, decidedly not black, certainly no goldfinch, a pine
warbler!  With camera in hand, a confirmation would be nice but the wary
goldfinches took flight and along with them the warbler but as a gesture of
empathy for my predicament, from above in the red cedar sounded a confirming
trill.
     The topping, was a second warbler an hour later observed out of the same
kitchen window flitting its way north though the budding maples.  Binocular
confirmation revealed a first yellow-rumped warbler of the season.

Roy Pilcher
Proctor, Vermont.

Speaking the Same Language