Spent most of the day on 4/16 looking for waterfowl along the CT River, both
on the VT and NH sides.  On the VT side, I birded 8 locations from
Brattleboro up to Springfield.  Unfortunately there weren't many waterfowl to
be found, despite lots of flooded fields and apparently suitable habitat.

Here are my waterfowl totals -

-  Canada Goose - 27
-  Mallard  -  44
-  Black Duck - 30
-  Mallard x Black Duck - 1  (Herrick's Cove)
-  Green-winged Teal - 12
-  Wood Duck - 10
-  Ring-necked Duck - 45
-  Bufflehead - 9
-  Common Merganser - 48
-  RED-BREASTED MERGANSER - 1 male - pond in south Brattleboro along Rt 142
-  Hooded Merganser - 8

Other birds of note -

-  Cooper's Hawk - 1 over Rockingham
-  2 Osprey - Rockingham ponds just N of the chinese restaurant (nesting?)
-  2 Great-black Backed Gulls - Rockingham ponds just N of the chinese
restaurant
-  Kingfisher - pair at Henwood Hill Rd marsh, Westminster (note for future
Atlasing!)
-  Tree swallows - several locations
-  Rusty Blackbirds - 12 - Brattleboro Retreat
-  Purple Finch - singing at Henwood Hill Rd Marsh

If you're interested, the NH waterfowl totals from 7 stops from Hinsdale to
Charlestown are below -

-  Common Loon - 1 - Hinsdale - singing
-  DC Cormorant - 6 - with both crests showing- 1st time I've seen the
"double" crests
-  Canada Goose - 5
-  Mallard  -  66
-  Black Duck - 11
-  American Wigeon - 2 - flooded field at Charlestown sewage treatment plant
-  BLUE-WINGED TEAL - 2 - Charlestown ponds
-  Green-winged Teal - 16
-  Ring-necked Duck - 45
-  Bufflehead - 9
-  Common Merganser - 14