I have a sad update on the red-bellied woodpeckers in Charlotte.  After
establishing a hole in my neighbor's yard and working on it actively for
about a week, they were harassed for three long days by a group of 3-4
starlings.  The woodpeckers fought back fiercely, sometimes diving and
pecking at the starlings, but the starlings prevailed on the third day and
have taken over the hole.  The red-bellieds are still here, though, and were
seen and heard on the same property as recently as this morning.  I haven't
found a new hole, but I am hoping they have found one deeper into the woods.

Edorah Frazer
Charlotte