This afternoon on Ferry Rd. in Charlotte we had a visit from a brown
thrasher, who was poking through the leaves under the lilac bush where our
feeders hang.  This is the first one I have seen at our place.

Friday morning in Shelburne I saw three phoebes (the first of the year for
me), a northern flicker, a great blue heron (also a season first for me)
and the usual wild turkeys.

In a late report, I have seen a meadow lark twice along Bostwick Rd. near
the Charlotte/Shelburne town line in the last three weeks.

And on a sad note, we found what we believe to be our resident male
American kestrel dead in the soffett of our barn.  All that is visible is
one wing and a long tail feather.  How it got stuck there I do not know.
We fear it is part of the pair that has been nesting nearby for the past
two summers.  Does anyone know if the female will find another mate for
this year?  Will she stick around or go elsewhere?

Holly F. Hungerford
Vt. Public Television
88 Ethan Allen Ave.
Colchester, VT  05446