Julie,

Maybe the Hawthorne effect? In which bias occurs because people know they are being studied?

Go to

http://ollie.dcccd.edu/mgmt1374/book_contents/1overview/management_history/mgmt_history.htm

for discussion. Hawthorne is the name of the plant where the studies took place (Western Electric) as opposed to the name of the researcher who formulated the principle.

Catherine Arnott Smith, PhD
4-179 Center for Science and Technology
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13210

(315) 443-6889 work
email: casmit07REPLACETHISTEXTWITHATSYMBOLsyr.edu

>>> Julie Smith <[log in to unmask]> 04/28/03 04:58PM >>>
Hello all,

I'm hoping this will ring a bell with someone.  I'm trying to find
something called the "Schmidt effect"  ( patron is not sure of the
spelling of Schmidt). This deals with the idea that the mere fact that
subjects are involved in a research study tends to slightly improve
their outcomes-- whether they're being managed better or they think
someone is paying more attention to them.  At any rate, with the
resources I have in a hospital library- I'm not finding this!!

If you can shed any light on this I'd be most appreciative.

Julie Smith, MLS
Library Manager
St. Joseph Hospital
Orange, Ca

714 771-8291
714 744-8533 fax

Notice from St.Joseph Health System:
Please note that the information contained in this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosure.