Dear Cecily,

We are looking to develop a pyrolysis system so that
we can measure the d18O composition of AgNO3 after
extraction of nitrate from solutions using an anion resin.

Since we are in the early stages, we would be interested
to hear your thoughts about the 'problems' that you
encountered when you tried to run samples by pyrolysis.

Many thanks,
Alison Bateman.

Alison Bateman
School of Environmental Sciences
University of East Anglia
Norwich
NR4 7HU
UK

On Wed, 28 May 2003 13:26:22 -0700, Cecily C Chang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>      A comment about using the column method for pyrolyis. We typically do
>not run samples by pyrolysis. On the few occassions that we have run
>pyrolysis samples, there were problems.
>
>      If you follow the instructions there should be no problem. Chang et
>al. 2002. CJFAS also describes using a cation column to minimize the
>organic load.  If you overload the column, if the silver is not clean,
>there will be a problem. You must check the silver nitrate for background
>nitrate. It takes us many weeks to clean silver.
>

>Cecily
>

>Cecily C.Y.Chang
>Hydrologist/Ecologist
>Stable Isotope Tracers Project
>345 Middlefield Road
>USGS Mailstop 434
>Menlo Park, CA 94025
>650-329 4471  Fax 5590
>
>"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
>
>                                                     ----Benjamin Franklin
>

>                      Teppei Fukada
>                      <[log in to unmask]        To:
>                      UK>                      cc:
>                      Sent by: Stable          Subject:  Re: [ISOGEOCHEM]
pyrolysis of silver nitrate for 15N and 18O ratios