Hello All:

I couldn't help joining in on this discussion. Long before there was Jeff
Raines, there was Travis Winsor,MD. My dad, Chet Smith, built many of the
early plethysmographic devices for Dr. Winsor in the 50's and 60's. Our
family business, Electro-Diagnostic Instruments (EDI), produced various
forms of the plethysmograph into the 90's.

Back in the early days it was just called "plethysmography," and it was
either segmental or digital. Dr. Winsor had a unique way of calibrating the
plethysmograph. Life Sciences in the 70's developed a different method of
calibration which they patented. As Bob McGrath mentioned, they also
trademarked the letters "PVR" so that no one else could use them
commercially.

Dr. Winsor wrote a book called Peripheral Vascular Diseases. It was
published by the Charles C. Thomas publisher in 1959 (Library of Congress
Catalog #58-10283). It has been out of print for some time.

Dr. Winsor passed away several years ago. He was an early pioneer in this
business, but he is often not given the credit he deserves. I'm glad to see
that his name is still remembered by some.

Regards,

Bob Smith