FYI
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Pita" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 6:08 AM
Subject: Re: history of PVR - For Melissa Godfrey

> Dr. Jeff Raines has a PhD in biomedical engineering and was the main
researcher in the early 70's at the once very famous Miami Heart Institute
in Miami Beach, Florida.  He is still active working at the University of
Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital Vascular Laboratory.  His phone number is
(305) 585-5371.  You may also find one of the nurses that worked with him at
the Miami Cardiac and Vascular Institute at Baptist Hospital in Miami, Fl.
Her name is Maria Doval.  I am sure that Maria has plenty of stories to tell
about the development of the PVR machine.

> I feel is important to mention that once the PVR machine was develop and
patented, the name of PVR (Pulse Volume Recorder) was recorded and
trademarked therefore could not be used by others other than the owners of
the trademark.  That is the reason you will find so many variants in the
vascular community describing (PVR's) as VPR, RVP, Segmental pressures, etc,
creating animosity among leaders in the field.