At 10:07 PM 5/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:

> Why look at butterflies? Because of the thrill of IDing something new,
> that I haven't ever noticed before! Today it was my first Silvery Blue and
> Harvester.

I had first Canadian Tiger Swallowtail yesterday iin Woodstock.

> I saw several 'blues' today. Since these are subject to special studies,
> how many vouchers might you suggest? (I just re-read your note saying
> '6-10 specimens would be ideal, from any one location on any one
> date').

One from each flight is good. So if you get one each month, you are doing
well.
These will all go to DNA work to help understand how many species we really
have here.

> How might we list the whites, sulphurs and azures for
> quanity? For instance, in the field I surveyed today I counted 13 blue
> butterflies. I netted 5 (2 in one shot!). 2 were Silvery Blues and the
> rest Spring Azures ( altho one that I collected has distinctive spots on
> the upper hind wing similar to what is shown for Cherry Gall Azure (plate
> 23/6). Since I was unable to specifically ID many of the distant
> flyers, how do I list them for quanity? Same is true for sulphurs, and
> whites......???

If you don't id them then it would be White sp., or Sulphur sp. For any Azures
just put spring azure. If you don't know if it was Silvery Blue or Spring
Azure
then put Blue sp.  But do list them on your site visit form with as much ID as
you can.

> I discovered I still have voucher cards from last year (4854-74) - shall I
> discard?

You can send them to me when you send your data. Don't use them. Just stick to
the new cards.

> If any others of you did not get a checklist of known VT Butterflies with
> Flight Periods, etc., request one. It's most helpful for us first-timers.

Yes. Apparently some of the packets didn't have it. You can also get it on the
web page at http://www.uvm.edu/~vbap/download.htm

> Lastly, thanks for the info on your 'field' camera. I have promptly
> misplaced it and the order info. Could you post it for a suggestion for
> all of us - esp. since you have done all the leg work and field testing.

The camera we are using is the Nikon Coolpix 4500. The best price I have found
is from B and H photo at www.bhphotovideo.com/  . There is a $200 mail in
rebate
from Nikon until June 1st. I also get a 128 mb compact flash card for more
memory for $50 and a 28mm UV filter for lens for about $8 to protect lens.
There are of course other companies that make good products too. I just found
that other butterfliers recommended this and it checked out well to others and
went for it. I will say, I hated the camera for about 2 days until I got
use to
switching from old fashion 35mm film camera to digital. But now I love it. The
key to this camera is 4 megapixels and super macro lens that can let you focus
on something only 3/4 inch away. It also comes with good software. This by no
means is an advertisement for NIkon or B & H photo. Other companies probably
have good stuff and prices too.

Kent

> Many thanks,
> Ruth
>

> Stewarts
> E. Dorset, VT
> USA
> --=====================_10454546==_.ALT
>
> Why look at butterflies?  Because of the thrill of IDing something new, that
> I haven't ever noticed before!  Today it was my first Silvery Blue and
> Harvester.
>
> Thank you, Kent, for your visit and information to the Arlington area last
> Fri.  I suspect several other than myself are new to butterflying, so I hope
> you take time to continually pass along information to the list - like where
> to look for the Angelwings (woods), and the fact that food source and
> availability for instars will affect the size of the adult (larger later in
> the season)...
>
> I saw several 'blues' today.  Since these are subject to special studies,
how
> many vouchers might you suggest?  (I just re-read your note saying '6-10
> specimens would be ideal, from any one location on any one date').   How
> might we list the whites, sulphurs and azures for quanity?  For instance,
 in
> the field I surveyed today I counted 13 blue butterflies.   I netted 5 (2 in
> one shot!).  2 were Silvery Blues and the rest Spring Azures ( altho one
that
> I collected has distinctive spots on the upper hind wing similar to what is
> shown for Cherry Gall Azure (plate 23/6).   Since I was unable to
> specifically ID many of the distant flyers,  how do I list them for
> quanity?   Same is true for sulphurs, and whites......???
>
> I discovered I still have voucher cards from last year (4854-74) - shall I
> discard?
>
> If  any others of you did not get a checklist of known VT Butterflies with
> Flight Periods, etc., request one.  It's most helpful for us first-timers.
>
> Lastly,  thanks for the info on your 'field' camera.  I have promptly
> misplaced it and the order info.  Could you post it for a suggestion for all
> of us - esp. since you have done all the leg work and field testing.
>
> Many thanks,
> Ruth
>

> Stewarts
> E. Dorset, VT