At 10:07 PM 5/18/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Why look at butterflies? Because of the thrill of IDing something new,
that I haven't ever noticed before! Today it was my first Silvery Blue and
Harvester.

I had first Canadian Tiger Swallowtail yesterday iin Woodstock.

I saw several 'blues' today. Since these are subject to special studies,
how many vouchers might you suggest? (I just re-read your note saying
'6-10 specimens would be ideal, from any one location on any one
date').

One from each flight is good. So if you get one each month, you are doing well. These will all go to DNA work to help understand how many species we really have here.

How might we list the whites, sulphurs and azures for
quanity? For instance, in the field I surveyed today I counted 13 blue
butterflies. I netted 5 (2 in one shot!). 2 were Silvery Blues and the
rest Spring Azures ( altho one that I collected has distinctive spots on
the upper hind wing similar to what is shown for Cherry Gall Azure (plate
23/6). Since I was unable to specifically ID many of the distant
flyers, how do I list them for quanity? Same is true for sulphurs, and
whites......???

If you don't id them then it would be White sp., or Sulphur sp. For any Azures just put spring azure. If you don't know if it was Silvery Blue or Spring Azure then put Blue sp.  But do list them on your site visit form with as much ID as you can.

I discovered I still have voucher cards from last year (4854-74) - shall I
discard?

You can send them to me when you send your data. Don't use them. Just stick to the new cards.

If any others of you did not get a checklist of known VT Butterflies with
Flight Periods, etc., request one. It's most helpful for us first-timers.

Yes. Apparently some of the packets didn't have it. You can also get it on the web page at http://www.uvm.edu/~vbap/download.htm

Lastly, thanks for the info on your 'field' camera. I have promptly
misplaced it and the order info. Could you post it for a suggestion for
all of us - esp. since you have done all the leg work and field testing.

The camera we are using is the Nikon Coolpix 4500. The best price I have found is from B and H photo at www.bhphotovideo.com/  . There is a $200 mail in rebate from Nikon until June 1st. I also get a 128 mb compact flash card for more memory for $50 and a 28mm UV filter for lens for about $8 to protect lens.  There are of course other companies that make good products too. I just found that other butterfliers recommended this and it checked out well to others and went for it. I will say, I hated the camera for about 2 days until I got use to switching from old fashion 35mm film camera to digital. But now I love it. The key to this camera is 4 megapixels and super macro lens that can let you focus on something only 3/4 inch away. It also comes with good software. This by no means is an advertisement for NIkon or B & H photo. Other companies probably have good stuff and prices too.

Kent

Many thanks,
Ruth

Stewarts
E. Dorset, VT
USA
--=====================_10454546==_.ALT

Why look at butterflies?  Because of the thrill of IDing something new, that I haven't ever noticed before!  Today it was my first Silvery Blue and Harvester.

Thank you, Kent, for your visit and information to the Arlington area last Fri.  I suspect several other than myself are new to butterflying, so I hope you take time to continually pass along information to the list - like where to look for the Angelwings (woods), and the fact that food source and availability for instars will affect the size of the adult (larger later in the season)...

I saw several 'blues' today.  Since these are subject to special studies, how many vouchers might you suggest?  (I just re-read your note saying '6-10 specimens would be ideal, from any one location on any one date').   How might we list the whites, sulphurs and azures for quanity?  For instance,  in the field I surveyed today I counted 13 blue butterflies.   I netted 5 (2 in one shot!).  2 were Silvery Blues and the rest Spring Azures ( altho one that I collected has distinctive spots on the upper hind wing similar to what is shown for Cherry Gall Azure (plate 23/6).   Since I was unable to specifically ID many of the distant flyers,  how do I list them for quanity?   Same is true for sulphurs, and whites......???

I discovered I still have voucher cards from last year (4854-74) - shall I discard?

If  any others of you did not get a checklist of known VT Butterflies with Flight Periods, etc., request one.  It's most helpful for us first-timers.

Lastly,  thanks for the info on your 'field' camera.  I have promptly misplaced it and the order info.  Could you post it for a suggestion for all of us - esp. since you have done all the leg work and field testing.

Many thanks,
Ruth

Stewarts
E. Dorset, VT