That was prolly the UX Open that 'Chromer speaks of. A visit to their
old site address yields a page I cannot view: http://www.uxopen.com

but there is some info at: http://www.golfcalifornia.com/uxopen.htm

A guy named Rick Ryan founded the event (lives nearby in CT), and it is
my understanding that this concept may not have succeeded commercially.

- Bruno