> From: Jim Clapp [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>> Knee pads I use are Arcteryx, and they hold real tight. They have a
buckle and a tension strap above and below the knee.
>I wonder if you could modify them with a bit of stretchy fabric
(capilene or lycra) to replace the strap.  That
>would lessen the pressure and spread what little pressure there would
be over a larger area.
I started using knee pads this year as I got tired of cold knees when I
had to kneel down in front of patients while ski(snowboard)patrolling.
really made a difference.    they are a very cheep (I got them for
something like $5 at one of those tent tool sales) pair of knee pads for
working around the house.  they have elastic velcro straps (I try not to
pull them to tight) and hard plastic cap on the front (I cracked one
already, duck tape to the rescue).  I put them on under my ski pants.  I
may go hunting for a better pair for next year.

I had gotten some soft sports knee pads years ago (when I first started
snowboarding) that have 6" wide elastic strap with padding on one side.
 never really used them as they would cut into the back of the knee if
you bent your knees.