From: "David Guertin" <[log in to unmask]>

> Somewhere way back in the foggy recesses of
distant memory, I have a
> recollection of reading about a golf tournament
in Alaska that almost
> sounded interesting enough to be worth taking up
the game. Apparently
> there's a "course" consisting of a single hole
on top of a
> mountain. Golfers start at the bottom of the
mountain, and whack the
> ball up the trailless peak, though clearcuts,
blowdowns, streams,
> etc. I don't remember what par was, but I'm
pretty sure it contained
> more than the usual number of digits.
>
> Kinda like a whole new concept -- backcountry
golfing.

I saw something kind of like this on TV at some
point over the past few years...  I think they
were playing at Shawnee in PA?  IIRC they were
playing down the trails.  You can get a hell of a
long drive when the fairway drops away at 20-30
degrees.