From: Margaret (Peg) Allen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2003 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question re: PubMed vs. Ovid Medline

I'd also like to know if Ovid MEDLINE links to all electronic journal
subscriptions that one might have, or just those from Ovid.  If just Ovid
titles, this could be a limiting factor, as many subscriptions now come with
"free" online access (not usually free, IMHO, as prices have increased to
provide this "free" access).

Other vendors such as EBSCO promise linking to all licensed online journals,
and offer PubMed LinkOut help.  For example, a Link Out URL has just been
setup for Wisconsin's BadgerLink EBSCO full-text databases.

In my personal opinion, I prefer database search software that defaults to
mapping to formal subject headings.  Ovid does this, as does CINAHLdirect.
It is an option in EBSCO.  However, it is buried in PubMed, and the natuaral
language mapping is not always that wonderful.

Hope this helps - Peg

Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS-AHIP, Library Consultant
PO Box 2, 308 Kann,  Stratford, WI 54484-0002
(715) 687-4976 Voice & Fax
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.pegallen.net