I just took a class in copyright last year for my MLIS.  I also work in
a corporate library (and did at that time). The course was taught by a
librarian that also has a law degree who has published several works on
copyright.

What we discussed in class was that if the corporate library has open
access* then fair use can be applied even if it is a for-profit
corporation.  The profit motive is to be applied to the copies (i.e. is
your library making money by selling copies) and to the purpose for
which the copy is made.  True research usually gets an exemption under
the fair use rules.  Making a copy to include/cite in a commercial
brochure does not meet fair use.  Even with fair use, there are
recommended guidelines for how much you should copy from a given book or
journal before you might be considered in violation.  So, if you make a
lot of copies from recent issues of journals, and you happen to get
sued, there might be some merit to the argument that you should have
subscribed to more copies.  There is a lot of grey in corporate library
copying.

*open access - if someone were to call you up and ask to visit, you
would let them.  Does not mean that everything in the library is open
access.

See also section 108 of the copyright law for additional rights for
libraries.

Sarah A. V. Kirby
Corporate Librarian and Research Assistant
Boelter & Yates, Inc.
847-685-9284