We saw a fAIR NUMBER OF FLYING INSECTS TOO; not swarms but enough to
notice.  wONDERED whaT THEy ate up there.  It was a bit bizarre to be
climbing a slope with crampons and ice axe, glance down and see them
writhing on the snow.  I wasted a lot of my youth trout fishing and still
do some of it.  They were not mayflies.  I know what mayflies look like.
To find a march brown or green drake or pale blue dun at 5500 ft. with no
year round running water within a couple miles, now that would truly be
weird.

BTW, Dave Guertin, I intend to take you up on that offer to show the good
spots for fly fishing around Middlebury.