Marc Chrusch [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>Out of curiosity, are you Janets also carrying shovels and probes? Avi
>debris are pretty tough to dig through by hand. BTW, I saw plastic
shovels
>snap during an exercise once.
>
>-marc, playing the devil's Janet

But of course! Wednesday I was the only one with a probe, figuring the
terrain features were unlikely to bury anyone deeply in a wet slide, and
if something big let go it was going to be ultra dense firn, not exactly
probe-able. Gary carried a "Dana Outfitters" special D-handled
telescoping aluminum shovel similar to the one I was carrying.  I've
bent & dented aluminum shovels on avi debris before- digging anyone out
in a late season big one is a dubious prospect, no matter what sort of
shovel you have.

dana

_____________ ________ __
__( Tele till you drop