On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 10:58 PM, Skip King wrote:

> Anyhow, Patrick sent the following to me the other day. It's pretty
> self-explanatory.  If anyone can help him, please contact him directly
> - he okayed the crosspost to the list (cc me on it, so I know that
> he's got something on his scavenger hunt list).  His email address is
> [log in to unmask] - I'd appreciate your help, and I know
> Patrick would, too.

snip to [log in to unmask] message

> I have sold an article entitled 'It Seemed Like A Good Idea At the
> Time' ...about 'ski innovations of the past which have subsequently
> fallen by the wayside, to mags in Canada, UK, Hungary and Italy.
> However all want pics which I have had no luck finding and I wondered
> if you might have some ideas where I might obtain any.

Well, while not quite on a level with the link supplied by
"Frankontour" (http://www.roberts.ezpublishing.com/sski/mus.htm ), this
query has prompted me to finally update the SkiVt-L Vault at

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?dir=./vault

and especially the "SkiVt-L Equipment Dustbin" at

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

with material scanned from some old ski magazines I keep around the
house. Especially of note:

> 3. Spademan Bindings

Yup, photo from 1976 advertisement. I note that my all time (second to
Wayne Wong, of course) favorite Frreestyle skier, Jack Taylor, skied
Scott boots, Spademan bindings, and "The Ski."

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
spademan.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

Also, don't forget the fabulous Burt binding

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
burt_76.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

and all those plates (funny how telemarkers have "rediscovered" this
bit of abandoned alpine technology):

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
plates.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

I ran across the mounting instructions for my Dad's old Besser (or were
they Americana?) plates the other day, will scan those sometime, too.

> 4. Hexcel Skis

No pictures that would do them justice, especially of the fabulous
"slit tail." However, I did find something of a line drawing showing
internal construction of the Spectralite which I didn't scan, but could
if necessary. I'm also 90% certain that I saw a pair of Splittails in
Stowe, at what used to be the Jim Shepard ski shop on the mountain
road. I'll bring a camera next time I'm in that neighborhood, see what
I can find. Personally, I owned a pair of Hexcel Sundance. Light weight
rubberbands, short (185, I think) and soft as the wisdom of the times
suggested -- what goes around comes around? Finally trashed them
(snapped the tail off one) at Bolton in 1985 or so.

> 7.  Rear Entry Boots

Lots of pictures, especially of my fave, the Hanson. I skied the Hanson
Exhibition for years

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
hanson_73b.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin , until I replaced them
with the Hanson Spyder

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
hanson_spyder.jpeg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

Hard to see in this stolen-from-videotape picture (must bring home
digital camera and snap a better one) is where Steve Mahre autographed
my boot!

> 9.  Jetstix

Couldn't find JetStick, but always wanted them. However, much along the
same lines: the High Boot craze. This ad from 1981 says it all:

        http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
dolomites_81.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin

> 13.  Skiing Robots -

That would be me, in my Demetre sweaters

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin/
demetre.jpg&dir=./vault/Equipment_Dustbin
http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./Vermont/killington_2001_05_10/
alice_anne_wesley.jpg&dir=./Vermont/killington_2001_05_10
http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=./world/panorama98/BigPhotos/Wesley-
in-Paradise.jpg&dir=./world/panorama98/BigPhotos