I think the big thing is more for the beginning of seasons. In summer, as you say, it's too hot to keep the snow for a while. But in september and october, it could be possible to open with technicas to keep the snow on the ground. For the summer skiing, anyway, if Killington really wanted to open all year long, they would just never stop the snowguns from November to april in Superstar  (lol) and they would have 150' of snowdepth (little exageration here) and that would be a "little bit" expensive. Actually, the new system is just at Tenney mountain, but if it's a success, some ski areas like Killington would possibly buy it to open Rime in September... which would be really better than the actual late october / early november. If it's economically possible to make snow and to make it stick on the ground, september openings would become possible. Anyway... we'll see that on oct 1 this year.

Frank

Miguel Naughton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Frank,

> This is some links for this snowmaking system that makes snow up to
> 60 degrees (if I heard that yesterday, I would think that it was a
> big joke, but after one year of news about it and 3 weeks before the
> beginning of the demonstration, I now begin to seriously believe
> this...)

Well I don't. I do believe that this system can make snow at 60F,
but what about keeping the snow on the ground? If the ground ain't
frozen, it won't stick. So it may be possible to cover a tubing
run, but the economics for a real ski run would be dismal because
of the need to continually refresh the snow. Snow in the summer
will be expensive.

Which brings up another point. Killington would be a much better
choice for summer snow because of the easy access to the entire
northeast. Since summer snow will be expensive you will need
to pack the slopes with skiers. It becomes location, location,
location. Also, Tenney doesn't have Killington's altitude.

Snowmagic may be a big step forward in snowmaking technology but
I just can't see this summer skiing thing beyond a tubing run and
a 250 ft vertical run.