On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Lynn Cummings wrote:

> Hi everyone - I'll be on vacation so I can't make it to the meeting.  Here
> is my 2-cents:
>
> Shouldn't we (CIT, Depot, CTL, UT&D, etc.)  offer just as much support  for
> this new hardware as we do any other hardware?  They do have a lot of
> features that aren't on a standard PC, but what kind of training are we now
> offering students on PC use?  If students  buy a computer from UVM is there
> more support (helpline, training, etc.) than if they buy it elsewhere and
> bring it here?
>
> We at UT&D would be happy to work with CIT staff and other knowledgeable
> people who are willing to teach short classes in "making the most of your
> tablet PC" or do specific topics on a regular basis for a while, or
> whatever.  Our classes are available to faculty, staff, and students who
> are working for a UVM department.  If a student is working for a UVM
> department and needs our training, all we need is a simple email from the
> student's supervisor stating that the person needs the training for their
> work in the department.  Emails should be sent to:  <[log in to unmask]>
> including the student's name, email, name of class, supervisor's name and
> contact info. so we can register them.

It is more than just new hardware, it is a new OS as well, presumably XP
Tablet Edition.  As for teaching people how to make the most of your
tablet PC, you'd need to ensure that everyone has the same brand to do
this the Right Way.  I've got demo units here from Microsoft (an Acer),
Toshiba and Compaq and each one has a different set of buttons on the
'frame'.

To truly use your Tablet PC effectively you'd need to master the
functionality of those buttons.