Miguel, I used to have the very same mindset against helmets. Then I
entered a competition where they were required and found it was a good
thing to have. Even if only to be able to smack your head on all kinds if
little(ie - _not_ thick) while skiing in dense woods. It sure beats
stopping and stepping back up to pick up your hat after a little branch
snagged it.

And hey, you never know when you might get blindsided by another skier, or
if a loose rock might come tumbling down from somewhere, or whatever other
unexpected things might happen. Plus, when you get one that fits, it sort
of becoumes a part of you like ski socks that haven't been washed all
season...

mpd