Crack boom bam it was Friday morning, we were riding Lenawee when a thick
dark cloud swallowed the sky. The lift slowed down to a crawl when off the
East Wall came the echoes of Thunder. Snow began spewing down vigorously
somewhere between graupel and flake. It was pelting us on that slow lift
ride near the end of which a crackling thunderclap came along with a
strobing flash of lightning. Not the best time to be a sitting duck passing
by the tops of giant lightning rods.

As expected at the top we were informed that the lifts were shutting down
and we needed to get off the mountain. The lift-op had to repeat himself
when he got drowned out by more rumbling from the clouds hanging like a low
ceiling atop A-Basin.

The thunderclaps began sounding differently as we went down the mountain;
each more drawn out and complex than the previous. Echoes off the East Wall
reverberated longer and longer. Eerie ripping and tearing sounds preceeded
the hammer of the gods coming down creating rumbling echoes which almost
sounded metallic bouncing down the rocks, and filling the air full.
Intermixed with all the vicious rumblings was a large scale light show like
the climax of the final encore at the end of a Pink Floyd concert.

Run Like Hell was what we did. Skied as fast as possible, poached the trail
below Exhibition(they couldn't have paid me to get on another lift at this
point), and skied to the base area through pelting graupel pellets
collecting intermittantly on the ground.

Never been above treeline during an electrical storm and I don't care to
again. Although it was a unique experience being blinded by brilliant
flashes while skiing fast and deaf, it was pretty nerve racking. Crack boom
bam.

mpd