On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 02:51 PM, Skip King wrote:

> Ummm... just to set the record straight, here, folks, that list is
> LAST YEAR's list from Ski Magazine's annual reader survey.

which explains...

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 03:29 PM, Denis Bogan wrote:

> Fair enough I thought, let's find out who beat MRG in these
> categories.  After scanning all 20 of them the answer was - Nobody.
> There
> is no #1 or #2 in challenge and no numbers 1-5 in terrain.  What's up
> with
> that?

The Eastern ratings are culled from the National ratings. The #1 or #2
in challenge and numbers 1-5 in terrain lie outside the east. Thus, if
you check the magazine, you should find that MRG was #3 for challenge
and #6 for terrain in North America.

> They won't release next years list for several months yet.  So let's
> not all of us get our knickers in a twist about it...

Once again, I received my ballot -- and sent it back, with my results
skewing responses -- about 90 days ago. I'll let you know if any of my
comments are quoted in October.

> About the #1 resort, Tremblant, one reader's comment was "The village
> 1s
> fake, I thought I was at Epcot."

I'm reading Building a dream : the art of Disney architecture (Beth
Dunlop ; foreword by Vincent Scully: New York : H.N. Abrams, 1996).  In
1955, Disneyland opened to the public with the primary entrance portal
opening upon Main Street, USA. Of course, this was a utopian fantasy
main street unlike the dying and deteriorating Real Main Streets found
throughout the US at that time. Civic leaders took note, and this
utopian ideal began to spread and replicate in the real world: life
imitating art. So now when tourists go to, say, New Shoreham village on
Block Island, they say gee, this looks like Disneyland -- well, it
should because they have fallen into the self-referential world of
architecture. As the editor's at amazon.com sum it up,

        "Over the past 10 years, the Walt Disney Company's chief executive,
Michael Eisner, has commissioned some of the most renowned contemporary
architects--Robert Venturi, Robert A. M. Stern, Arata Isozaki, Frank
Gehry, Aldo Rossi, and Michael Graves among them--to design important
buildings for the company. In the process, Disney has set new standards
for postmodern architecture and has become one of its leading patrons
anywhere in the world. The resulting projects, which include quirky,
fantastic theme parks, hotels, resorts, movie studios, and offices, are
evidence of how Disney's long-standing use of popular, often surreal,
imagery and iconography has been absorbed into the architects' styles."

So, looking like Epcot is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ever been to Val d'isere ? Except for one 11th century church, The
village is entirely purpose-built since 1932. A small block of faux
alpine style buildings occupy the village center, built in 1992 for the
Olympics. Don't underestimate the power of Disney.