It's the best I could come up with for the moment, from www.greglemond.com:

> This tragedy struck on April 20, 1987, when his brother-in-law
accidentally shot Greg while hunting in California. Over forty shotgun
pellets ripped through Greg's body, lodging not only in his back and legs,
but more critically in his small intestine, liver, diaphragm, and heart
lining. While waiting for rescue, his right lung collapsed and he lost
three quarters of his blood supply. A cell phone, a police helicopter and
nearby hospital that specialized in gun shot wounds saved his life.
Because of the dangerous locations, surgeons were forced to leave over
thirty of the pellets imbedded in his body.<