Gov. Leavitt's campaign contributions scrutinized

Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt (R), President Bush's pick to head the U.S. EPA,
received more than $500,000 in campaign contributions from mining, timber,
oil and gas industries over the last six years, according to public records
available from Utah's State Elections Office.

As the EPA administrator, Leavitt would become responsible for overseeing
the companies that have supported him during his 10-year tenure as governor.
"I can't tell you what it means to our industry. I can't tell you because
there is no history," said Don Olsen, spokesman for Utah-based Huntsman
Chemical, which has contributed $83,500 to Leavitt's campaigns for governor.

Leavitt's new position would not mean special favors for his industry
friends, said Jon Huntsman Sr. "We work closely with the EPA on a number of
different levels, and we are not going to do anything to potentially make
the governor feel uncomfortable," he said. "And I would hate to think
friendships would have to cease because someone takes a particular job."

Along with Huntsman Chemical, Leavitt also received $109,800 from oil
refineries and $97,100 from state waste companies

------ End of Forwarded Message