Satya Sagar's statement reminds us of why SftP was founded. Even though
it may be a tad shrill in places, the first two thirds of it certainly
are worth broadcasting to students, colleagues, the press, etc. When he
gets to payoffs I think he goes more wrong.  For the most part
scientists are satisfied with personal comfort, not enormous wealth.
They do want funding for their research on a massive scale, however.
They are seduced, as J.R. Oppenheimer put it, by the "technically
sweet," which is certainly not the same as truth. Many of them also very
much want recognition, citations, a following, which in practical terms
means to succeed at putting forth what is taken for the truth (see Kuhn)
and of course most believe it is the truth. Probably most start out
wishing to do good things in the eyes of their fellow humans,  often
enough with truly altruistic motives. then they begin to confront the
reality that research requires government or corporate support, and to
get that, they have to side with some larger social project which they
then help perpetuate, of which, of course, weapon making, patriotism,
imperialism, and sheer power projection are among the most potent.

Sixty (plus)  years of that in the US has played the main role in our
having the most expensive and technically sophisticated attack forces
the world has ever seen, in theory incomparably stronger than any
opponent now in existence. As I have been arguing of late, given the
usual logjam of domestic politics, the military superiority has finally
proved an irresistible option for an administration ruthless (and
stupid?) enough to dare to use it, in large measure for its domestic
impact (winó or appear to winó a war and then,e.g.,  a  huge tax cut for
the rich can be yours) . Putative  WMD's in the hands of Saddam and sons
was hardly a reason, merely a necessary excuse.

Best,
Michael

Michael H. Goldhaber

http://www.well.com/user/mgoldh/

What have I learned in all these years, by way of wisdom? Most
importantly, I would say the notion that we humans came into a world
without meaning, but we invented meaning; it is to us to give things,
including ourselves what meaning we choose to give, and though our power

to do that is not unlimited, it is the most difficult and most important

power we possess, a task we can never successfully assign to others, and

can hardly avoid, a task that is always open before us, and one in which

there are no predetermined right answers, and quite possibly not even
any absolutely wrong answers, much as I would like there to be. The
world is not a book we can read, but our very existence as humans makes
it a book we can--and inevitably do--write.