Hi. Just want to mention, that as a rehabilitator, I get many 'lost' racing
pigeons. If they have a band I try to find out who the owners are and I call
the owners - wherever in the US or Canada they might be. Some owners care
for their birds enough to pay for shipping the birds back to them, some bird
are culled as soon as they come back since they are 'defective' since they
couldn't home 'fast enough'. Some non banded fancy pigeons we get in are
from wedding ceremonies. These birds cannot find food as wild pigeons do and
are often found emaciated. So, if you find a fancy pigeon, please call a
wildlife rehabilitator, and we will assess each individual case and do the
best for the bird in question - if we feel they shouldn't go back to the
breeder, we find good homes for them.  Regards,