On the subject of terns, there were about 65 (presumably all common, but
not a bad place to hide other species) hanging out on partially submerged
trees at the mouth of the Winooski River this afternoon.  Views could be
had from either Delta Park or the end of the Burlington bike path.  Also a
Great Egret and Pied-billed Grebe in the borrow ditches on the east side of
127 and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers at Delta Park.

Allan

At 02:52 PM 8/11/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>No, Mark. We saw either two or four terns (the same pair twice or two pairs)
>and all were adults. We watched a pair dive bomb and harass nesting osprey for
>about twenty minutes - behavior that appeared to be just "fun" for the terns.
>(There were two successful osprey nests, one on a man-made platform and one
>quite low to the water - maybe six to eight feet - on the spreading roots
>of an
>old fallen tree. Each nest had an least one good-sized chick.   The bird in
>the tree-root nest did a lot of stretching its wings and looked fledge-able.)
>
>Maeve

Allan M. Strong
University of Vermont
School of Natural Resources