For the last two evenings, while I have been reading, I have faintly
heard a mimid going through a lengthy repertoire of bird songs.  Most
were repeated three times, so it could not be the local catbird. It's
late for such a lengthy song. And I have never seen a mocker here at
1000 ft. in Lincoln.  But every time I got up to find the singer, it
stopped.  Last night I found it impossible to concentrate on the lion
observations going on in the book I was trying to read.  I wrote down
what I recognized, which included a whip-poor-will and a Bell's vireo.
So how could a Lincoln bird know songs from species that don't occur
here?And then I noticed that there seemed to be a grouping:  there were
several flycatchers, some vireos, a veery and hermit thrush.  Was a
birder buddy playing a trick on me and playing a tape outside my
window?  How did s/he escape when I got up to check on this mystery?
Finally, I gave up and started for bed, turning out the light.  What is
that green light??  Uh oh, my portable CD player got turned on by
mistake.  Ah ha!!  Mystery solved.  No wonder there was a uniform tone
to what I had been hearing, coming through the earphones lying on the
couch.  So much for birding by ear.....