This week I have been enjoying the antics of young house and gold finches
who are learning how to eat from our tube feeders in Charlotte.  It seems
that the males bring the young with them and then demonstrate how the
feeders work.  It takes a while for the young ones to stop begging and
start attempting to land on the feeder perches.  Once that has been
accomplished, I've noticed them picking out seeds and then, unable to hold
them properly, dropping them on the ground.  I've been filling the feeders
daily and the little ones have been getting progressively better at using
them.  Such fun to watch!

Have also had a young blue jay whose head feathers have yet to grow in
fully.  Does anyone know why this sometimes happens?  We had three such
blue jays last year.

Holly F. Hungerford
Vt. Public Television
88 Ethan Allen Ave.